Saturday, September 14, 2013

A "local" experience

I rushed into the local,, tired and hungry
Stuffing myself between two nonchalant ladies
I struggled to pull my buzzing phone out
When i saw something that plucked my heart out..

She was someone's grandmom or maybe a little younger
Her dupatta tied firmly around her waist
She felt like no stranger..
A vague sense of deja vu swept over me
as my eyes searched for her identity...
She had a box of this and that,
Chocolates, wafer biscuits and even legal pads !
She dint look distraught as a woman pushed her
nor did she flinch when her bars fell down
She smiled and mumbled something to her little friend
a boy who was dressed in a little tent..
He yelled "aunty.. !" as she missed one pack
"yeh bhi le lo.." and stuffed it in her sack..
She smiled as she firmly wore her cross bag
With a determined look she head out
amidst the crowd and sell-outs
Barely balancing her wares
She hobbled away to her first call-out
"Aunty ek moong daal", "...ek choclolate dena"..
"Yeh lo beta...",, "..arre ek minute beta.."
giving each one what they wanted
like their day-long hunger pangs were granted..
I can re-write this whole encounter in many ways
like a wise man has many a says
but the woman made a place in my heart nontheless
She fed the tired, working class
with her fantastic fares..
Each one wnated something, She gave her all
demanded almost nothing
Like the 5 buck cholocolate felt so priceless
When she handed me a bar with so much niceness
Maybe i miss my granny or maybe she IS something
She dint ask for money, until evryone was granted
Like feeding hungry kids was all she wanted.
A woman asked for plumcake,
and then another wafers...
She almost sat on the floor
To search for those flavours
I was mesmerized by her devotion
She just got on at andheri station...
And by and by, she sold most of her treasures
Within a couple minutes she knew she reached her destination..

A silver-haired woman, dressed in cotton-green
A wrinkled smile but sparkly eyes
They say spill your happiness over the seams
And thats what she tried,
weakly turning things to her side.

She portrayed what a million words couldnt
Like a whirlwind of something magical
I soon found out that she look to 7:34 Churchgate bound local
Even just for those two stations, She worked up a miracle
Evryone knew her, fondly calling out to her
And for those who didnt, she obliged them with a smile
She lost count of the change to pay back
or the items they asked for
her face wore the innocence of a child.
Clearly, her age didnt permit  the action
Like clockwork she handled the pandemonium
of demands that kept coming
she blissfully kept fulfilling
I suddenly felt the burden that she casually wore off
I dont usually carry my heart on my sleeve
And not many can even reach-out
But a few minutes of her presence
Were enough to tell me what special stuff she was made off...


No i didnt pay her for my chocolate
It was more than just 5
She deserved all the worlds niceness
cause putting a smile on exhausted mumbaikers... is truly priceless !!


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you